Leader - David S. Johnson
Members met at Lawkland Green, well dressed to defy the elements. However, we had a dry walk. This walk was to have been led by Roy Gudgeon and David was asked to step in at the last moment. A route was devised using lanes and field paths designed to give the party a flavour of the area south of Lawkland. It is not exactly an area teeming with walkers, and it offers wonderful views across to the Dales proper, but many of the paths are difficult to follow and many stiles are either missing, hazardous or a challenge even to the athletic. The chosen route headed south along Stalpes Lane to Four Lane Ends, then east along the newly restored Craven Ridge Lane to the sandstone quarry once worked by Brassingtons as a producer of "Good sandstone sawn and in the rough to dimensions". We then turned south up Back Lane to join Cross Lane before taking field paths from Langrigg to Accerhill Hall. More quiet lanes after that, by Stackhouse and Black Bank Lanes to Eldroth Knott Quarry. Like the earlier quarry, this was also a major source of building stone for the housing developments in late 19th century Settle. In 1849, for example, John Winskill took on the lease of this quarry on an annual rent of £15 from Thomas Ingilby of Lawkland Hall. Winskill, who lived on Settle's Victoria Street, was a stonemason, builder and - with his son John - patentee of new lime kiln designs. The quarry had a tramway link, probably pony-drawn, and the skeleton of one of the tubs is rusting away in the quarry.
The walk then returned to Lawkland by field paths and a couple of "interesting" stiles.