Another diversion caused by the Great Pipeline moved the August walk from Wigglesworth to Chapel-le-Dale. A very small group enjoyed a warm and mostly sunny afternoon (there were a few in this wash-out of a summer) walking along the base of Whernside, with splendid views of the Ribblehead viaduct and Cam Fell in the distance. From the chapel in the dale we walked up the lane behind the church, continuing onto the bridleway and contemplated the sculpture rescued from the nearby Jingle Pot where vandals had dumped it. We spent quite a long time discussing the date and building sequence of Ellerbeck Farm which seems to be in course of restoration, not altogether sympathetically in our view. Further on, Bruntscar Hall provided an even more intriguing building with an unusually carved doorcase dated 1689.
At Ivescar we turned south onto a farm track and then a bridleway and looked at the comings and goings of the river. We were impressed by the huge flood barriers suggesting that this was not a place to be after heavy rain. On along a dry(ish) stream bed flanked by purple betony flowers to welcome refreshments at Philpins Farm.